ordinary girl

An ordinary girl with an ordinary life loved with an extraordinary love by the extraordinary God

Monday, February 05, 2007


Hello everyone! Sawa dii Kha!!

(Written Monday morning. It's taken my awhile to figure out the Internet here. The photo is of one of three vans it took to get our group to our hotel from the Chiang Mai airport. I took it just moments after passing through customs... we didn't have to open a single bag!)

It is Monday morning, and the Super Bowl has well begun. Several of our team went to a Western club to take in the game, but I chose to stay here and catch my breath. I hope to send this before lunch in from the business center downstairs. We'll see if it happens!

The journey here had it's share of challenges-- a canceled flight out of Indianapolis, and missing luggage in New York City, but both ended well. Saturday's and Sunday's flight (the 17-hour one!) went very well. Most of us slept off and on, so that when we arrived Sunday night at 9pm, we were tired and able to go to bed as if it was the right time to sleep! The flight for me was interesting. I sat next to a young woman, Tulie, and her 10-month old son who were on their way to Laos to visit her parents who hadn't met their grandson yet. I got to hold Owen lots and helped Tulie with him. He was exceptionally good sitting on her or my lap the entire time! She kept missing her (American) husband who will join her in Laos in a couple of weeks, especially in caring for her baby. I felt very useful and enjoyed talking to her. She asked many questions about Christianity without my prompting, but only wanted surface details and didn't want the Thai (she speaks Lao and Thai) "Jesus" DVD I brought. While I held Owen, I placed my hand on his head and prayed for him and his mom, that Owen will grow searching for God who delights to reveal Himself to those who seek.

Today will be a mish mash of events... the Super Bowl for those who want it, eating lunch with a missionary here, having a traditional Thai dinner, and ending the day with a meeting to get ready for tomorrow. We met the organizers of the conference at the airport in Bangkok. They have come from all over East Asia. Planning the conference was mostly done over email... what an amazing era we live in! As we flew over places like Iceland, Estonia, Russia, and Kazakhstan, I thought about missionary journeys not too long ago that were really long and grueling. Just getting to their places of service was an undertaking. Flying in a plane for 17 hours with a personal TV and three hot meals isn't really roughing it for the Gospel. Please pray for me as I co-lead this venture. Some of the women are already struggling. Pray that I will be a loving, encouraging leader!

The hotel is amazing! The rooms are spacious and beautiful, but definitely not Western! The rooms and hallways surround an open foyer up through all stories. We're on the 11th floor and it's quite dizzying to look down to the front desk.

Thanks for your prayers--

I'll be in touch again, soon!!

love,
cathy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home